Skip to main content

Small island but big heart

This will be my submission to the Caribbean Writer's call for submissions for volume 39.


The theme is "Possibilities: Beyond Tradition, Inside of Courage." The word that stands out to me here is courage. I read that the word "courage" comes from the Latin word cor, which means "heart". In earlier times the word was used for speaking one's mind bravely. I asked my friend Gemini to explain the theme to me and he suggested that true possibilities lie in venturing beyond the boundaries of tradition, and that courage is necessary to embrace these possibilities and create something new. This has me thinking about my Caribbeaness. What it means to be from the islands? What it means to be Trinidadian? How it shapes my approach to life? How what limits me makes me stronger? I have learnt to be creative and make the best of what I have. I am from a small island but I have a big heart. I lived abroad for 5 years after turning 18 years of age. It was the beginning of my adult life. Four years was spent at university in Atlanta and one year working on Wall Street in New York. I was like a little fish in a big pond. In 2003 I returned to the little pond. I had returned to Trinidad where I reside to this day.

New York felt like the crossroads of the world but when I returned to Trinidad I did not feel like I was missing much. The internet was connecting the world and Trinidad was on a path of development and I would be part of that. It was not long after that I discovered the world of blogging and specifically tech blogging. Blogging has defined me for the past twenty years. Only recently I started writing books. What fascinated me about blogging was that I did not have to rely on traditional media. I was now part of the new media which later turned into social media. I created blogs and content that I was looking for. I was so fascinated by the local voices mixed in with the global voices in the blogosphere. I wanted to be as much of a producer as a consumer. Local content matters. All I needed was an internet connection and the courage to share my enthusiasm and noobiness. The courage to dream of being a voice of progress and learning in the tech space. I also ventured into creating tech youtube videos. There are not many local tech bloggers or tech youtubers. It took courage to continue on this path for 20 years without monetary reward where others would have seen this as a waste of time and effort. It was a labour of love. I needed a big heart and I was passionate about what I was doing.

Tech blogging had become my tradition. It is only recently I discovered my love for book writing and it helps that I have a background in blogging. I rebranded my blog to focus on book writing. I was leaving what had been a tradition for me behind. It was an act of courage as I now considered myself a book writer. The local book writer space is more established than the local tech blogger space but I bring a new voice and a new style. My voice and style and background is quite unique I would think. Writing gives me freedom. I feel like I can make a difference through my writing. In school I was less good at the non science subjects including English, Literature and Writing. There was a lot of competition to get into the Sciences and I was guided by this. I did not see encouragement and a future in writing at that time. I never imagined myself becoming a book writer one day. In a sense I am breaking with tradition and the mold that I created for myself. I open my mind to all the possibilities. I find courage in all those who occupy this space that I am new to.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...