Skip to main content

Journey

This is a chapter from my fifth book called Freedom

It is after noon on Sunday and I am bored and decided to write. I wanted to write a chapter called "Journey" but where to? Somehow my mind asked the question, what is a 23 sided shape called? And I thought that would be an interesting place to start. I do not hide the fact that 23 is my favorite number. How did they come up with the name icositrigon? There is a pattern of Greek suffix and prefix used to construct the name of polygons. Icosa means twenty. Tri means three. And the suffix gon usually signifies a polygon. While researching I came across the golygon. This is any polygon with all right angles whose sides are consecutive integer lengths. The name "golygon" was invented by the recreational mathematician Lee Sallows but he did not say why he chose that name (according to my friend Gemini).

I came across these interesting math based anagrams where Lee Sallows is mentioned. I wanted to create one of my own that used twenty three and this is the best I could do. So the letters on the left are rearranged to form the letters on the right and also balance the equation.

TWENTY THREE + ONE + NINE = TEN × YEW + THIRTEEN + NONE

This makes sense if somehow YEW equals TWO and at least they rhyme. And yew does mean two in the Jumjum language. And that is how I came to learn about the Jumjum people of South Sudan. I could not learn why they are called Jumjum (Jum by 2) but I would love to know. I also learnt that the Yew is a tree. Tree and three sounds the same if you speak with a Trinidadian accent. As a side note and as today is Sunday, I noticed that Sudan is contained in the word Sunday. I have seen the news of what is happening in Sudan and I hope the world comes together to help the people of Sudan. They are us and we are them. One humanity. War is a cancer for humankind and we must stop it and we must not repeat it. The world wants to live with freedom and in peace.

I now journey to Nepal. I found out that JumJum is a ride sharing app in Nepal and I learnt about attempts to save the wild Maire yew tree. I read that the trees are key for biomedical uses. The leaves are used in the production of taxol which is a chemical used in cancer treatment. These trees could become extinct in the wild in Nepal due to unsustainable harvesting. That is what I have read. Most of those articles at the top of the Google search are dated to the year 2020. I guess we could say, "free the trees!" And that is a good segue for ending this journey and this chapter. I like this quote from Edward Abbey, "One does not ask permission to walk on the moon or swim in the ocean. One does not bow before the mountains. We belong to this earth. We are intricately woven into the fabric of life on earth. We are nature." My friend Gemini tells me that this quote emphasizes our inherent connection to nature and the freedom that comes from embracing this connection. Freedom comes with responsibility. When we protect nature we protect ourselves.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...