Skip to main content

Mind

This is a chapter from my fifth book called Freedom

I came across this quote from an unknown source when I was writing my first book and it has stuck with me. "I was free once I realized that the cage was made of thoughts". The mind is so powerful. The mind is a terrible thing to waste. Just as I wrote those few sentences we had a medium and prolonged earthquake in Trinidad. It is now around 12 midnight in Trinidad. It was a 6.2 earthquake. I think this earthquake has awakened the entire country. As I reread what I wrote so far I noticed that the word midnight contains the word mind. Midnight = mind + thing. A powerful re-mind-er of what I wrote earlier. The mind is a terrible thing to waste. This has been the slogan of the UNCF (United Negro College Fund) and later modified to say, "A mind is a terrible thing to waste, but a wonderful thing to invest in." This promotes the importance of education. I thank my mom for making sure that education was a priority in our household and that I got a solid education as part of my foundation in life.

These days I keep my mind useful and challenged with my book writing. I find that there is freedom in putting my thoughts into words. I tried to find a quote that expresses this same idea but instead I came across this quote by Immanuel Kant, "The power of thought is the light of knowledge, the power of will is the energy of character, the power of heart is love. Reason, love and power of will are perfections of man." My friend Gemini explains the power of thought part of the quote with, "This emphasizes the importance of critical thinking and reason. Just as light allows us to see, thought allows us to understand the world around us." Writing is a way to explore the world and learn new things. It is like saying, "let us see what the mind could find." I like this playful quote from Dr Seuss, "You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose."

We have to take care of our minds and what we feed our minds. I find that if we are not careful we can easily be consumed by the negativity that surrounds us. We are then inclined to add to the negativity. Instead there is plenty of positivity and through positive thoughts and positive actions we can make the world a better place to be in. Norman Vincent Peale tells us that "Change your thoughts and you change your world." It is approaching morning. My mind and body are in a relaxed state. I have progressed from a few sentences and being shaken up by an earthquake to now a few paragraphs but where can my mind take me now? Through the power of my mind in deciding what to search for and the power of technology and the search engine I came across this BBC article titled - Awe: The 'little earthquake' that could free your mind.

The article through Ethan Kross tells us that awe is the wonder that we feel when we encounter something that we can't easily explain. According to the article, awe can have a profound impact on our mental health, by allowing us to put our anxieties into perspective. I think I needed to hear that. Awe reminds me of my last book "WHY" where I asked lots of questions. Lots of interesting questions. I like that awe begins the word awesome. Why is there only some in awesome but full in awful? A question for another time. Let me continue reading the article. The article tells us that when we encounter something incredible and grand we see ourselves in the grand scheme of things and place less emphasis on our needs and this creates greater altruism. It also has the effect of us placing less emphasis on the negative chatter in our minds. The bottom line is that awe forces us to broaden our perspective. I like how Ethan puts it, "The capacity to step outside of ourselves is a really valuable skill." I guess we can call these experiences "awequakes". You know what just crossed my mind? The awe and wonder of living on the edge of a mountain cliff overlooking a valley. Imagine when rain falls and the feeling of being one with nature. The earthquake struck but I am mind struck by the new perspective and freedom this article and this chapter has brought to me. Guess what? It has started raining heavily just like the rain my mind had imagined.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...