Skip to main content

Prayers

This is a chapter from my fifth book called Freedom

There is freedom in praying to God. I have been connecting with and getting closer to God for the last few years but I only recently started reading my salat (5 daily prayers in Islam). Before that I would do one voluntary salat everyday after I bathe. I am a late bloomer in this regard and I still have things to do to master my salat and my faith and my life. I play the azan and iqamah from youtube and also the prayer after azan. I follow along the steps of the salat from youtube until I could on my own. I have an app called prayer alarm that lets me know it is time to pray. I also have the Quranly app I use to read daily verses from the Quran. This is my journey and I thank God for guiding me along this path. In hindsight my life could have kept me and taken me down the wrong roads but somehow my heart was always on the straight path even when my mind and desires and circumstances and flaws were sending me the wrong way.

The word ray is contained in the word prayer. Prayer is a ray of hope. Prayer allows us to connect with a Higher Power. To call on our Creator. It is a reminder of our purpose and what is most important in our lives. My prayers are being answered and this strengthens my belief in prayers. I was saddened when the police commissioner called for prayers (among other things) to deal with crime and she was being mocked by many. If you do not believe in the power of prayer, how do you expect it to work? Also prayer is not about getting everything you want but about being guided and given the strength to deal with whatever tests we are tested with. God tests us with good and bad so do not become disenchanted when bad happens.

God gave us the freedom of choice and free will. Freedom is the root of religion and prayer. No one can force you or should force you to pray or choose a religion. That is the beauty of it all. Prayer is a choice we make. I am glad Islam chose me and I am glad that I accepted. What worked for me was an open mind and an open heart and recognising that there were things outside of my control. There were things that only a Higher power could fix. That the joys of this world are fleeting and the joy of God is everlasting. When we pray we free ourselves from our burdens and problems and lay them in the hands of God. We are less and less slaves to our fears and those destructive forces. We become slaves to God so that we are not slaves to this world. I let God guide me and chose a random verse from the Quran and got 3:60 "This is the truth from your Lord, so do not be one of those who doubt." And that would be the takeaway from this chapter for me, freedom lies beyond fear and doubt. A clap of thunder sounded as I reviewed what I wrote. Maybe, just maybe, a sign from God.

Comments

Rasheeq said…
Insanely good post

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...