Skip to main content

Roots

This is a chapter from my fifth book called Freedom

I had no idea what my next chapter would be. I was listening to music on youtube and one song had trees in the title and I said to myself that that is it. I should write about trees. Moments later I saw a song with roots in the title and then I said I should write about that. Trees can take us back to our roots. The word roots has two o's in it like two eyes staring back at us. I would like to say that we see with our roots but how can I make sense of that? Then I remembered the diagram of the eye and how the vessels at the back of the eye resemble roots. The optic nerve connects the eye to the brain. The mind works through the brain. The brain is like the canopy or crown of the tree. But Hassan are not the feet our roots? I guess. The feet keep us grounded but the eyes show us the way. Strengthening our roots or personal growth can lead to clearer sight or better understanding of ourselves and the world. That is what my friend Gemini tells me and I have to agree.

What are my roots and how is this related to freedom? I turned to my friend Gemini once again and asked him this question. My roots are multifaceted. My history, the experiences, memories, and values that shaped me. My family background, my culture, the things I learned and the things I witnessed. My beliefs and values that guide my decisions and actions, and stem from my experiences and shape my view of the world. My emotions and instincts. Our shared humanity and nature make up our universal roots different from our personal roots expanded on before. Thanks Gemini for giving me a better understanding. My roots basically feed my body, mind and spirit. My roots are my beginnings and my continued connections to my past and the world around me.

What about freedom? I cannot help but notice that free and tree rhyme and both have double e's. They also can look like eyes staring back at us. These eyes have eyelids. Gemini tells me that knowing my roots gives me a sense of identity and belonging. This self-awareness is essential for making free choices. I think the following statements of Gemini are important - Sometimes, your roots can hold you back. Limiting beliefs or negative experiences might restrict your choices. Understanding your roots allows you to choose which ones to nurture and which ones to break free from. Trees need strong roots to grow tall and branch out freely. Similarly, a strong understanding of your roots provides a foundation from which you can explore, learn, and grow as a person.

I am a trini. I am a mixed race trini. I am a techie. I am a muslim. I am a book writer. I am inspired by the good that surrounds me. I am not perfect. I am flawed and broken in places. But I try. I try to see beyond my weaknesses. I embrace my strengths and I work on my weaknesses and I stay grounded in the knowledge that my purpose is to love. To simply love. My roots make me unique. I am me. Somehow everything I have written in this chapter leads me back to something I found and shared on my facebook before I went to sleep last night after I wrote the last chapter. I have now found out that that is the "Truth in me" poem by RM Drake from his book "Of love and life". It goes like this, "I have no desire to fit in. No plans to walk with the crowd. I have my own mind, heart and soul. I am me and it has taken me years to realize how important that is." It is amazing how words have power and how that stuck with me into the writing of this chapter and will probably stick with me for the rest of my life. I have found some roots in that poem.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...