Walking

This is a chapter from my fifth book called Freedom

I recently started doing long distance walking again. I like the freedom that walking gives me. I think walking prevented me from getting really sick many times in the past. There are many benefits to walking that you can research on your own. Always consult your doctor before starting any exercise regimen. Injuries are a real thing. If you have a treadmill that is awesome. But you do not need one. These days I am walking in my yard because of the convenience and my mom says it is safer to walk at home. Also I do not have to worry about the rain or finding a toilet or an adequate supply of water. I can wear ragged home clothes also. Finding the motivation and willpower to exercise is a real issue for many. I recently had a relapse and got sick and I found my motivation. God works in mysterious ways. I have also changed up my routine and I am prioritizing sleep and diet. Recently Tilo Kruse and his Ghananian friend did a walk around Tobago bare footed and I am certainly impressed by this. I told Tilo in his livestream comments that I was impressed by his courage. He said it is not courage for him as he is not afraid. And he is right. I guess I was thinking about myself if I had to do that. I would have to tell my mom I want to do that and she would think I am crazy and that it will be dangerous and then there is the logistics. Plus I can't leave my mom home alone. We support each other. I do not have the convincing power or the logistics to do a walk around Tobago. What happens if I want to use the bathroom? I cannot see myself sleeping in strange people's places. If I could afford it I would have a vehicle follow me and sleep in tents. Which brings me to the point of this chapter. Freedom comes with a price. Anyone of us can have freedom but are we willing to pay the price? Will it be worth it in the end? Who pays the price? So many of our freedoms that we enjoy today were won by those who have gone before us and paid the price and we should not take these for granted. Freedom is a fundamental human right and when attempts are made to trample on these freedoms we must be weary and resist these attempts. There was a time attempts were being made to privatize roads in communities and set up guard booths. What an absolutely slippy road that would be. Pun intended. The roads were made for anyone to walk. The roads are free property that belong to the people. Somehow I am reminded of the calypso by Lord Kitchener, the road make to walk on Carnival Day. I cannot figure out what he is singing about and I could not find the lyrics or meaning online. Was there some sort of restriction or controversy at that time. I would like to sing the song "The road make to walk in Trinidad" for people who feel they could stifle our freedom of movement. Guard booths are just a plaster to a problem and we have to get to the root cause of crime in Trinidad which is family planning among other things. I suspect people dont like to hear this because it means a weakening of the elite. When the people at the "bottom" progress and get attention and focus it means less for the "elite". People seem to prefer to strongarm the problem. Again, I ask what is the price of our freedom and who is paying for our freedom? And is your freedom more important than someone else’s freedom? Just some food for thought.

Comments

Nasif said…
Very interesting. I do wonder, is freedom ours alone or do we share it responsibly

Popular posts from this blog

How can you make money online in Trinidad and Tobago?

Deep

.dev.tt domain names in Trinidad and Tobago

My Year In New York from 2002 to 2003