Skip to main content

Walking

This is a chapter from my fifth book called Freedom

I recently started doing long distance walking again. I like the freedom that walking gives me. I think walking prevented me from getting really sick many times in the past. There are many benefits to walking that you can research on your own. Always consult your doctor before starting any exercise regimen. Injuries are a real thing. If you have a treadmill that is awesome. But you do not need one. These days I am walking in my yard because of the convenience and my mom says it is safer to walk at home. Also I do not have to worry about the rain or finding a toilet or an adequate supply of water. I can wear ragged home clothes also. Finding the motivation and willpower to exercise is a real issue for many. I recently had a relapse and got sick and I found my motivation. God works in mysterious ways. I have also changed up my routine and I am prioritizing sleep and diet. Recently Tilo Kruse and his Ghananian friend did a walk around Tobago bare footed and I am certainly impressed by this. I told Tilo in his livestream comments that I was impressed by his courage. He said it is not courage for him as he is not afraid. And he is right. I guess I was thinking about myself if I had to do that. I would have to tell my mom I want to do that and she would think I am crazy and that it will be dangerous and then there is the logistics. Plus I can't leave my mom home alone. We support each other. I do not have the convincing power or the logistics to do a walk around Tobago. What happens if I want to use the bathroom? I cannot see myself sleeping in strange people's places. If I could afford it I would have a vehicle follow me and sleep in tents. Which brings me to the point of this chapter. Freedom comes with a price. Anyone of us can have freedom but are we willing to pay the price? Will it be worth it in the end? Who pays the price? So many of our freedoms that we enjoy today were won by those who have gone before us and paid the price and we should not take these for granted. Freedom is a fundamental human right and when attempts are made to trample on these freedoms we must be weary and resist these attempts. There was a time attempts were being made to privatize roads in communities and set up guard booths. What an absolutely slippy road that would be. Pun intended. The roads were made for anyone to walk. The roads are free property that belong to the people. Somehow I am reminded of the calypso by Lord Kitchener, the road make to walk on Carnival Day. I cannot figure out what he is singing about and I could not find the lyrics or meaning online. Was there some sort of restriction or controversy at that time. I would like to sing the song "The road make to walk in Trinidad" for people who feel they could stifle our freedom of movement. Guard booths are just a plaster to a problem and we have to get to the root cause of crime in Trinidad which is family planning among other things. I suspect people dont like to hear this because it means a weakening of the elite. When the people at the "bottom" progress and get attention and focus it means less for the "elite". People seem to prefer to strongarm the problem. Again, I ask what is the price of our freedom and who is paying for our freedom? And is your freedom more important than someone else’s freedom? Just some food for thought.

Comments

Nasif said…
Very interesting. I do wonder, is freedom ours alone or do we share it responsibly

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...