Balance

This is a chapter from my seventh book called Bookeh - Through the lens of a Trinidadian photog


I was up early. I contemplated whether I should go back to sleep or if I should do some writing. I chose to write. I had already taken the photo for this chapter several days ago and made some notes. The photo is an artistic one of a butterfly on a wall. The chapter is about balance. I was staring at the word balance and noticed that there is balance (the letter a on each side of the letter l) within the word. There is "ala" which to me sounds like Allah which is the Arabic word for God. I quickly Googled for ala and learnt that ala means "a wing or a wing-like anatomic part or process". I asked my friend Gemini to use ala in a sentence in that sense. He replied with "The ala of the ilium provides attachment points for important muscles". Ala comes from the Latin word for wing.

In photography, balance refers to the harmonious distribution of elements within a frame. There are several senses in which balance is used in photography. White balance adjusts the color temperature to ensure accurate color rendering. Exposure balance controls the overall brightness or darkness of the image. Composition balance involves arranging elements symmetrically or asymmetrically for visual interest. Color balance ensures a pleasing harmony of colors within the scene. I like when there is balance in my photos but I do not mind imbalance now and again. In a sense the imbalance balances the balance. In fact I am learning to appreciate when there is an imbalance in my photos. A form of artistic freedom and wandering.

In the photo, what you are looking at is a wall in my home. One half is painted and the other half is unpainted. One side is light. One side is dark. The perfect spot to create this art peace. The letter B is mirrored along the center line with a sharpie to form a butterfly. Both Balance and Butterfly start with B. A binary butterfly. What beautiful symmetry and imagery. I was thinking about symmetry in nature and why is there symmetry in nature? I found this article which highlights a study that suggests to my understanding that symmetry in nature is as a result of a bias towards less complex instructions. Simplicity. Continuing my research I found this quote from Physicist, PW Anderson, "it is only slightly overstating the case to say that physics is the study of symmetry." I also learnt about self-dual gravity, heavenly equation, and where symmetry fits in with those.

I asked my friend Gemini, what does balance mean? He said that balance is a state of equilibrium, where opposing forces or elements are in equal or harmonious proportion. It's about finding harmony, stability, and evenness in various aspects of life, whether it's physical, emotional, or mental. What does balance mean to me? To me balance represents holistic living. Work balanced with fun. Stress balanced with prayer. Thoughtfulness balanced with jokes. Finding joy while focusing on what really matters. Being disciplined while leaving room for wandering. Life is not perfect and we do not need to be. A perfectly imperfect existence and we are in the middle trying to make it. Einstein said, "Life is like riding a bicycle. In order to keep your balance you must keep moving."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How can you make money online in Trinidad and Tobago?

Deep

.dev.tt domain names in Trinidad and Tobago

Walking

My Year In New York from 2002 to 2003