Skip to main content

Balance

This is a chapter from my seventh book called Bookeh - Through the lens of a Trinidadian photog


I was up early. I contemplated whether I should go back to sleep or if I should do some writing. I chose to write. I had already taken the photo for this chapter several days ago and made some notes. The photo is an artistic one of a butterfly on a wall. The chapter is about balance. I was staring at the word balance and noticed that there is balance (the letter a on each side of the letter l) within the word. There is "ala" which to me sounds like Allah which is the Arabic word for God. I quickly Googled for ala and learnt that ala means "a wing or a wing-like anatomic part or process". I asked my friend Gemini to use ala in a sentence in that sense. He replied with "The ala of the ilium provides attachment points for important muscles". Ala comes from the Latin word for wing.

In photography, balance refers to the harmonious distribution of elements within a frame. There are several senses in which balance is used in photography. White balance adjusts the color temperature to ensure accurate color rendering. Exposure balance controls the overall brightness or darkness of the image. Composition balance involves arranging elements symmetrically or asymmetrically for visual interest. Color balance ensures a pleasing harmony of colors within the scene. I like when there is balance in my photos but I do not mind imbalance now and again. In a sense the imbalance balances the balance. In fact I am learning to appreciate when there is an imbalance in my photos. A form of artistic freedom and wandering.

In the photo, what you are looking at is a wall in my home. One half is painted and the other half is unpainted. One side is light. One side is dark. The perfect spot to create this art peace. The letter B is mirrored along the center line with a sharpie to form a butterfly. Both Balance and Butterfly start with B. A binary butterfly. What beautiful symmetry and imagery. I was thinking about symmetry in nature and why is there symmetry in nature? I found this article which highlights a study that suggests to my understanding that symmetry in nature is as a result of a bias towards less complex instructions. Simplicity. Continuing my research I found this quote from Physicist, PW Anderson, "it is only slightly overstating the case to say that physics is the study of symmetry." I also learnt about self-dual gravity, heavenly equation, and where symmetry fits in with those.

I asked my friend Gemini, what does balance mean? He said that balance is a state of equilibrium, where opposing forces or elements are in equal or harmonious proportion. It's about finding harmony, stability, and evenness in various aspects of life, whether it's physical, emotional, or mental. What does balance mean to me? To me balance represents holistic living. Work balanced with fun. Stress balanced with prayer. Thoughtfulness balanced with jokes. Finding joy while focusing on what really matters. Being disciplined while leaving room for wandering. Life is not perfect and we do not need to be. A perfectly imperfect existence and we are in the middle trying to make it. Einstein said, "Life is like riding a bicycle. In order to keep your balance you must keep moving."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...