Skip to main content

Butterfly

This is a chapter from my seventh book called Bookeh - Through the lens of a Trinidadian photog


I made a lot of notes for this chapter. Let us see if I can condense it into something beautiful, just like a butterfly. My friend Chatty tells me that the first known photograph of a butterfly was taken by French photographer Louis Darget in 1907. His pioneering work utilized early photographic techniques to capture these insects, marking a significant moment in both scientific documentation and nature photography. My curiosity had me asking, what number is this photograph of all the butterfly photographs there ever was? Gemini says it would be astronomical and in the billions. I would take a wild guess and say that this is the 107322649538th butterfly photo ever taken. With 17,500 species there are probably hundreds of billions of butterflies living in the world. More butterflies than humans I would guess. Who would win a dance battle? Humans or butterflies? My friend Gemini thinks butterflies would win. Their ethereal movements could easily outshine human choreography. Imagine thousands of tiny wings fluttering in sync, creating a mesmerizing performance that would leave any human dancer captivated.

The butterfly photo I made for this chapter was not the best butterfly photo I ever made, in my opinion. There was harsh sunlight. It is a noisy and distracting composition. There is a lot going on. The butterfly is not properly exposed. There is a chaotic feeling for me with this photo. Yet, the beauty of the butterfly and the flower still shines through among the chaos. The reflection of the clouds and sky in the water makes me think of "as above so below". I like the deep bright yellow of the flower. The fence is a reminder of modern living and the human experience. I am made to look beyond the surface for the beauty in this photo. Makes me think that there is beauty in all photos and the limit of our appreciation is our own preconceived notions. Confucious said, "Beauty can be seen in all things, but not everyone observes it."

Mario Quintana said, "If you spend your time chasing butterflies, they’ll fly away. But if you spend your time making a beautiful garden, the butterflies will come. Don’t chase, attract." I have my mom to thank for the plants and flowers in our yard. We know why the flower is beautiful, to attract the insects and carry on reproduction but why are the butterflies pretty? My friend Gemini tells me that butterfly coloration evolved through sexual selection for mate attraction and natural selection for aposematism or camouflage. You know what? The more I looked at the photo, the more I liked it. The photo makes me see beyond what is beauty on the surface and become curious and ask questions.

This is a monarch butterfly. I think so because I read that there are monarch lookalikes. I feel like we need an updated or new Butterflies of Trinidad and Tobago book. Today I learnt what a lepidopterist is. A person who studies or collects butterflies and moths. My friend Chatty tells me that the term "lepidopterist" derives from the Greek words "lepis" (scale) and "pteron" (wing), reflecting the study of butterflies and moths, whose wings are covered in scales. I also learnt about local lepidopterist Malcolm Barcant. I think butterfly gardens or butterfly farms are good ideas for tourist attraction in Trinidad. Even a butterfly museum. I know that Angostura has the Barcant Butterfly Collection that is open to visitors.

Do butterflies have arms and legs or just legs? I learnt that they have six legs. Where do butterflies sleep? Butterflies don't truly sleep but enter a resting state called quiescence, often hidden under leaves or in sheltered spots. Did you know that butterflies taste with their feet, have eyes made of thousands of lenses, and their wing colors come from tiny scales reflecting light? Writing this chapter made me curious about butterflies and wanting to learn more about these beautiful creatures that we admire so much. And it all started with an ordinary photo of mine that on another day I might have discarded as not good enough, not beautiful enough. Learning is beautiful. Becoming a better person is beautiful. There is beauty in curiosity. There is beauty in chaos. Somehow we try to make sense of the world and that is beautiful. Vincent Van Gogh said it nicely when he said, "If you truly love nature, you will find beauty everywhere."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...