Skip to main content

Capacitors

This is a chapter from my seventh book called Bookeh - Through the lens of a Trinidadian photog


It is raining heavily at the moment. I just came from the shed where I took this photo. This is the top of an old capacitor from our air conditioner sitting on top the cover for our sewer tank. When I saw the capacitor on the ground this morning I told myself it would make a good subject. It looks like a face, especially since I added a piece for the mouth from our sewing kit that forms part of a hook-and-eye. Looks like a ghost. A ghost from a robot. A relic from the Jetsons. The rusting gives it character. I want to believe it is a friendly ghost or maybe not. Maybe it is one of those ghosts that causes the electricity to go out when we need it the most. Like on a hot night when the mosquitos are out in their numbers. Maybe I should have chosen a curved mouthpiece to give it a friendly and welcoming smile.

My friend Gemini tells me how capacitors help us in photography. Capacitors, essential components in photography, store electrical energy for a quick, powerful burst to ignite the flash. Their history intertwines with photography's evolution; early glass plate cameras used flash powder for illumination, a dangerous process. Capacitors replaced this with a safer, more reliable method. Today, they power modern electronic flashes, enabling precise control over lighting and capturing stunning images, a testament to the enduring partnership between technology and photography. Pieter van Musschenbroek invented the Leyden jar, the precursor to the modern capacitor, in 1746.

We all have the capacity to be great. We all have the capacity to be great photographers. Photography is accessible to everyone, and with passion, practice, patience and a unique perspective, anyone can capture remarkable photos. It is about finding our own artistic voice and capturing the world in a way that resonates with others. Ansel Adams tells us that, "You don't take a photograph, you make it." We all have the capacity to make it in life. They say that life is how we make it and I guess photography is no different. I like how a piece of trash on an ordinary day turned into an opportunity to make a photograph and tell a story and be artistic. We do not have to wait for the right moment, we can create the moment. Photography is the art of capturing not just what the eye sees, but what the imagination envisions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...