Clouds

This is a chapter from my seventh book called Bookeh - Through the lens of a Trinidadian photog


This chapter has been in the making for a few days now. I woke up early and decided today was the day I would finish this chapter. I had already made notes and I had some photos but I would make some more photos and choose the better one. My attempts to capture birds in flight got me started with cloud photography. I was surprised that there was a word for this niche in photography. It is called cloudscapes. I see cloudscapes as abstract works of art. My friend Gemini tells me that cloudscapes often blur the line between abstract and representational art. Their ever-changing, ethereal forms and dramatic light play can evoke abstract interpretations, while familiar shapes like cotton balls or storm clouds ground them in reality. Ultimately, the perception is subjective.

I like this quote that describes Alfred Stieglitz's cloud photography, "A symbolist aesthetic underlies these images, which became increasingly abstract equivalents of his own experiences, thoughts, and emotions". I learnt about Alfred's work in looking up the history of cloud photography. I also learnt that in early landscape photography, photographers had to combine two separate exposures for the land and the sky. Some photographers even resorted to painting in the clouds. My friend Gemini tells me that modern cameras capture stunning landscapes in a single shot, thanks to advanced sensors and image processing. Filters like ND and GND further enhance sky and foreground detail, eliminating the challenges faced by early photographers.

In between cloud photography I was able to capture the elusive yellow butterfly. These yellow butterflies are fewer than the other types of butterflies around my yard and they are always busy. They never come close and they do not stay put for long. Making it a challenge to photograph with my mobile phone. I did manage to finally get a good enough photo of one of them and learnt that they are called "cloudless sulfur" butterflies. Cloudless because they lack distinct markings or "clouds" on their wings like the clouded sulfur butterfly. My friend Gemini tells me that butterflies and clouds, though unconnected biologically, share a symbolic bond often representing transformation, beauty, and freedom. Their ethereal forms inspire awe and peace.

Clouds are soft and quiet most of the time. Clouds can be loud and expressive like when thunder happens. Clouds smile with the sun peeking through. Clouds cry when there is rain. Clouds look sad and angry when it is overcast. Clouds tell us that the world is alive. I like a clear blue sky but I also appreciate the clouds. I like when the clouding is uniform and not distracting but I am starting to like chaotic cloudscapes. I like this quote from Shaan Johri, "Without clouds, there’s no point in looking up." From him I learnt about the environmental theory of communication and the cloud appreciation society. A seemingly simple thing like cloud photography can lead to greater appreciation and care for the environment. We are no different from the clouds. No two clouds are identical. Similarly, each one of us is a unique masterpiece painted across the canvas of existence. Clouds remind us to embrace our individuality, to celebrate our originality, and to find wonder in our differences.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

.dev.tt domain names in Trinidad and Tobago

Love, Purpose, and Ten Dollars

How can you make money online in Trinidad and Tobago?

Walking

Let's talk about Teslas in Trinidad and Tobago with Ian Smart of Smart Energy Limited