Skip to main content

Flight

This is a chapter from my seventh book called Bookeh - Through the lens of a Trinidadian photog


From light to flight. My last chapter was titled light and this chapter is titled flight. They say that the early bird catches the worm but I want to say that the early photographer catches the bird. At least that is what I had hoped for. The best camera is the camera that you have but some situations are easier with good gear. Birds and wildlife for example are easier to capture with a superzoom. Nonetheless I set out with my mobile phone this morning to get a photo of a bird in flight. Can you spot the bird in the photo? It is in the upper left hand corner. Probably a pigeon. The birds I see in my neighborhood are egrets, herons, pigeons, tanagers, mockingbirds, kiskadees and house wrens. I did manage to see a hummingbird this morning also. That does not happen often. I also saw a plane (the mechanical bird) heading for Piarco. I wanted birds in flight but I also saw some birds in fight. Gemini tells me that birds fight primarily over territory, mates, food, and protection of offspring.

The morning was beautiful. There were clouds in the sky. The birds were chirping and in search of their morning meal. I was hoping that one would fly by close enough to make a good photo. I was looking firstly to the East where the sun was rising. In all my photos the birds came out tiny even when I used two times zoom. Zooming more than two times on my smartphone is just horrible. I just do not bother. I found a spot where the top of the hibiscus plant and flower kissed the sky. I thought to myself this would make a beautiful photo especially if the birds flying by would come in the frame. I took about 200 photos in total. None of them was "the shot" that I was looking for. I was patient and stood there for some time but that was not enough. I was defeated. I would have to do this another day. But I did have something to work with and a story to tell.

Motion photography captures movement in a still image, often using techniques like long exposure or panning. Also, adjusting shutter speed controls how movement is captured, from freezing action to creating dramatic blur effects. When I saw the hummingbird. The idea of having a hummingbird come up to the hibiscus with its fast flapping wings and me capturing that enticed me. That would have been perfect and dreamy. I did some artistic post processing on the photo I came away with. I adjusted the levels and created a nice clear sky and added some grain. I like the photo because it represents effort and better try next time and better luck next time. Many times in life we do not get what we want. We come away empty handed. We taste defeat. But we live to fight (or flight) another day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...