Skip to main content

Surface

This is a chapter from my seventh book called Bookeh - Through the lens of a Trinidadian photog


From the busy photo and the chaos of my last chapter to the minimalism of a clear blue sky in this chapter. It was evening. The cooler part of the day. I went outside in the yard and stood on the grassy area and looked above. I made five photos. They say the sky is the limit but I wonder if it is really our beginning and our end? I did not think of mentioning it in the last chapter but the butterfly effect is an underlying principle of chaos theory. I went online and matched the color in the photo and the center of the photo matches with "hippie blue". This is a simple photo. This might even be my best photo. A photo of the surface of the sky. The clouds are the sky's clothing. This is the sky without its clothes. Naked as it was born. The photograph could have been a wall or a blank sheet of paper. Any surface and the message would be the same, just conveyed in a different way.

Beauty is not only in the photograph itself but what it represents. The same goes for writing. Sometimes we judge the medium and the messenger and ignore the message and this is not good. It is funny how the last chapter was chaotic just like the photo. At least in my mind. I feel like the writing described itself. You have to look beyond the quality of the photograph and the writing to see the beauty of the message. Similarly as a writer and photographer, I need to focus on the message as much as the presentation. My friend Gemini tells me that a photograph and a piece of writing are more than just images or words; they are vessels for meaning. Often, we're too quick to judge the container, neglecting the treasure within. To truly appreciate art, we must look beyond the surface.

Does this count as a photograph? My friend Gemini tells me that a photograph of a plain blue sky can be categorized as minimalist, abstract, or a standalone landscape element. Its simplicity allows for a focus on color, light, and texture, making it versatile for various photographic styles and interpretations. To you and me this might just be a clear blue sky but to one user on reddit this represents a deep scientific question. A picture of a clear blue sky has greater entropy / information content than a busy painting: true and if so, how? Trying to read the answers hurt my brain and I have forgotten my own understanding of entropy. But I do remember it being counterintuitive to my ordinary thinking. In the same sense that my best photo could be the photo that requires the least amount of effort. I did not plan to link these two chapters in this way but it just happened. Chaos, order (the opposite of chaos) and entropy.

I am a minimalist. I like simple. I do not always represent this but it is a big part of my ethos. It is what I aim for. A simple life. A life of contentment. A peaceful existence. Albert Einstein said, "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough". I would like to suggest that if we took all the atoms of everything in the universe and formed a surface with these atoms we would end up with a clear blue sky. An imaginative and poetic concept that is more philosophical than grounded in reality. This is to simply say, we are all the same and different at the same time. We are all part of a clear blue sky. In a sense the photo represents nothing and everything at the same time. The beginning and the ending. An empty sky that is full of hope.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...