Skip to main content

Surface

This is a chapter from my seventh book called Bookeh - Through the lens of a Trinidadian photog


From the busy photo and the chaos of my last chapter to the minimalism of a clear blue sky in this chapter. It was evening. The cooler part of the day. I went outside in the yard and stood on the grassy area and looked above. I made five photos. They say the sky is the limit but I wonder if it is really our beginning and our end? I did not think of mentioning it in the last chapter but the butterfly effect is an underlying principle of chaos theory. I went online and matched the color in the photo and the center of the photo matches with "hippie blue". This is a simple photo. This might even be my best photo. A photo of the surface of the sky. The clouds are the sky's clothing. This is the sky without its clothes. Naked as it was born. The photograph could have been a wall or a blank sheet of paper. Any surface and the message would be the same, just conveyed in a different way.

Beauty is not only in the photograph itself but what it represents. The same goes for writing. Sometimes we judge the medium and the messenger and ignore the message and this is not good. It is funny how the last chapter was chaotic just like the photo. At least in my mind. I feel like the writing described itself. You have to look beyond the quality of the photograph and the writing to see the beauty of the message. Similarly as a writer and photographer, I need to focus on the message as much as the presentation. My friend Gemini tells me that a photograph and a piece of writing are more than just images or words; they are vessels for meaning. Often, we're too quick to judge the container, neglecting the treasure within. To truly appreciate art, we must look beyond the surface.

Does this count as a photograph? My friend Gemini tells me that a photograph of a plain blue sky can be categorized as minimalist, abstract, or a standalone landscape element. Its simplicity allows for a focus on color, light, and texture, making it versatile for various photographic styles and interpretations. To you and me this might just be a clear blue sky but to one user on reddit this represents a deep scientific question. A picture of a clear blue sky has greater entropy / information content than a busy painting: true and if so, how? Trying to read the answers hurt my brain and I have forgotten my own understanding of entropy. But I do remember it being counterintuitive to my ordinary thinking. In the same sense that my best photo could be the photo that requires the least amount of effort. I did not plan to link these two chapters in this way but it just happened. Chaos, order (the opposite of chaos) and entropy.

I am a minimalist. I like simple. I do not always represent this but it is a big part of my ethos. It is what I aim for. A simple life. A life of contentment. A peaceful existence. Albert Einstein said, "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough". I would like to suggest that if we took all the atoms of everything in the universe and formed a surface with these atoms we would end up with a clear blue sky. An imaginative and poetic concept that is more philosophical than grounded in reality. This is to simply say, we are all the same and different at the same time. We are all part of a clear blue sky. In a sense the photo represents nothing and everything at the same time. The beginning and the ending. An empty sky that is full of hope.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Faith

This is a chapter from my latest book called (G)rains (o)f san(d)s. Learn more about the book here . Thank you God for faith. We say we want to meet God but we already do in some ways. We meet God in his creation. We meet God every time we meet someone. We meet God every time we meet the animals. We meet God every time we meet nature. God is all around. Faith is when we can see this. This is God's world. We are God's work. We are testimony of his greatness. Everyday that goes by I think about God. Everyday I thank God for his mercy. I take my problems to God. I pray to God. God is at the center of my life. Nothing happens without the will of God and therefore I would be wise to submit to the will of God. God is in the everyday moments. God loves when we love. What is the simplest definition of faith? I think it is found in the phrase, let go and let God. I asked my friend the same question. My friend says that at its simplest, faith is trust in what you cannot see or prove. But...

Flowers

This is a chapter from my latest book called (G)rains (o)f san(d)s. Learn more about the book here . Thank you God for the flowers. I bought a blue daze flowering plant for my mom when I went out to walk one day. It adds some colour to the nature in the yard. It is beautiful. I was told that blue flowers are rare. My friend says that blue is relatively rare in nature due to chemical and physical challenges in producing this color in living organisms. Nothing exists completely on its own. Plants depend on insects and other creatures, while those creatures depend on plants and their flowers. There is an interconnectedness in creation that reminds me that God is intentional. Flowers are beautiful but so is everything else if we really consider things with an open mind. What is beauty? What makes some things more beautiful than others? They say that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Beauty is subjective. My friend says that what I am talking about is the perceptual mind where meaning ...

Softness

This is a chapter from my latest book called (G)rains (o)f san(d)s. Learn more about the book here . Thank you God for softness. The gentleness of prayer. The calmness of the heart. The patience of the mind. The soft sounds of nature. The cool breezes of shade. The slow movement of sand in the hand. The kindness of strangers. The soothing voices of Quran. The warm embrace of the azan. I move through life with softness in my heart. I move through life with joy. I move through life wishing good for others. There is a peace that comes with being soft. The angels surround those who are soft. Soft like the winds of heaven. Soft like the clouds in the sky. Easy like Friday morning. May I never lose this softness that allows me to see beauty and goodness in everything and everyone. The world tries to harden me but I refuse. I walk upon the earth softly. I love without fear. My every breath is a prayer of gratitude. Let my heart remain like grains of sand in the hands of God that are softly he...