Skip to main content

Today

This is a chapter from my seventh book called Bookeh - Through the lens of a Trinidadian photog


I woke up today and took this photo of this flower from my yard. There is something that attracts us to flowers similarly to how the insects are attracted to the flowers. We are part of nature. We are nature. Nature nurtures us. It reminds us that we are inherently drawn to beauty and harmony. This yellow cosmos flower embodies harmony through its balanced structure, complementary colors, ecological role, and symbolic representation of peace and cosmic order. There is a God and nature reminds us of this all the time.

Let us talk about the direction of this book. Each chapter starts with a photograph I take the day I start the chapter. I want this to be about sharing and about learning. I want to discover why photography means so much to me. I want the quality of my photography to improve. I want each chapter to carry some message. But most importantly I want to have fun writing this book. I think I do my best work when I am happy in a contented way. Photography helps us understand life and the world around us.

This was taken with my budget Samsung A14. No special or fancy gear. The best camera is the one we have. I took it during the start of the morning golden hour or magic hour when there is often a soft and warm light that can make even simple subjects look beautiful. These days I spend most of my time at home. I am a house bird so to speak. I do have a nikon d5000 camera that still works but I have no laptop to connect it to. My nikon camera was mostly used for tech events and tech blogging when my world was the tech world. I am glad that I am exploring more than tech these days. I feel more all rounded. My superzoom that I used for birding and taking photos of the moon was stolen. I hope that it found a good home and is being made good use of. I do not walk with my phone. I want to get a cheap digital camera to take on my walks. One that can connect to my mobile via wifi or bluetooth.

My scenery is limited but my creativity and imagination is limitless. Both things you need as a good photographer. Today I stare into this flower and I see myself. I see the cosmos. Carl Sagan said, "The cosmos is within us. We are made of star-stuff. We are a way for the universe to know itself." Today I asked myself the question, if this flower could talk to me, what would it say? But then I have come to realize that it has already spoken to me, else I would have nothing to write about in this chapter. Nature speaks to us. We just have to listen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...