Skip to main content

Waves

This is a chapter from my seventh book called Bookeh - Through the lens of a Trinidadian photog


This photo was almost straight out of camera (sooc). I only did a crop and added a border in Snapseed. You will probably come across the term sooc in photography circles. This is where a photograph is presented exactly as it was captured, without any post-processing edits. It's often used to showcase a photographer's ability to achieve a desired look directly from the camera, but it's important to note that even JPEG images undergo some in-camera processing before leaving the camera. I think that there is a place for sooc and a place for post processing and it is a matter of your preference and goals.

Light travels in waves. My friend Gemini helped me understand how light waves are used to create a photograph. Similar to how the human eye works. Light, composed of oscillating electromagnetic waves, enters a camera lens and is focused onto a sensor. This sensor is divided into millions of tiny light-sensitive pixels. Each pixel acts like a miniature wave detector, measuring the intensity and color of light waves hitting it. This information is converted into electrical signals, then digitized, creating a digital representation of the original light wave pattern - the photograph.

The word wave starts with w which is in itself a wave. The letter w is a wave. If I trace the fingers of an open hand, that forms a wavy pattern. When did humans start hand waving? While some believe it evolved from military salutes or handkerchief waving, the true history remains unclear. It's likely a gesture that developed gradually as a form of nonverbal communication, its origins lost to time. Speaking of time, time is an essential component of any wave. It's the dimension in which a wave propagates. Without the progression of time, there can be no oscillation or movement, and thus, no wave. This photo gives us a moment in time and blurring gives the illusion of motion.

What got me started with this photo was that I was reading up on experimental photography and the different techniques. My friend Gemini explains it perfectly. Experimental photography is a playground for creativity, breaking free from traditional rules. Techniques like intentional motion blur, light painting, double exposure, and collage transform ordinary images into extraordinary art. It's a fusion of technical manipulation and artistic vision, where the only limit is imagination.

The photo was made when I was laying down. The background is the corner of the room. The room is naturally lit from a window where the curtain is tied up. I went into pro mode and experimented with all the settings I could find - white balance, speed, iso and manual focus. The wall of the room is actually pink. The resulting photo is kind of trippy and dizzying to look at. Life comes at us in waves. It is good to try new and different things. Instead of being bounced around by the waves, we can become the wave. Becoming the wave means actively shaping our lives and adapting to changes, rather than just reacting to what happens around us. Instead of a slave to our circumstances, we become a wave of freedom.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...