Skip to main content

Rain

This is a chapter from my seventh book called Bookeh - Through the lens of a Trinidadian photog


It is 123pm on the same Sunday as the last chapter. Again I am starting without a photo and a chapter title. The question that came to mind was who was the first fisherman or maybe it was a fisherwoman. I mean it is fisher and not fishim. Who built the first boat? I like that boat rhymes with float and sky rhymes with fly and land rhymes with hand. But we do not walk on hands though, but we used to. I think how the words sky, sea and lands can all be transformed into something to do with sight. Sky becomes skeye, sea becomes see and lands becomes lends. Eye, see and lens. Sight is the focus of photography. My friend Gemini tells me that photography is a visual language that captures and communicates moments and ideas. That is what I hope to do with my photography and storytelling.

The sky has gotten dark. It might rain. That could make an interesting photo. A photo of an angry sky or rather a sky that is about to cry. I made my way outside and made a few photos of the approaching gray sky coming from the east. As I made my way to the front of the house I noticed graysie. Graysie looks just like the gray sky and the tail was curved just like in the origin story of the question mark. Graysie is the name we gave the gray stray cat that visits our yard from time to time looking for a meal and sometimes a place to sleep, either on top of the old dryer or under the washing sink. I made a few photos of poor graysie and chose one for this chapter. I am back inside and I hear thunder and I can see the darkened sky through the bedroom window. Is it going to rain cats and dogs? I do not think graysie would be pleased with the idea of cats falling from the sky.

The rain has started. Let me go outside and check on graysie. Nowhere to be seen but I forgot about the clothes drying under the shed that I hurriedly picked up and got somewhat wet in the process. It was a wrong side rain that was blowing from the west and wetting inside the house to which I had to close the windows and front door. In between all the drama I made time to have lunch which was tuna fish sandwich. Maybe graysie came by for me to offer him some of the fish I caught in the previous chapter for my art installation. A crapaud has just barged through the front door looking for shelter from the rain I assume. Who says Sundays are boring was wrong. Sundays can be fundays once you start writing. The rain lulled but has started back strongly accompanied by lightning and thunder. Blessings from above and yonder.

*Maybe the first fisherman was a cat.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...