Skip to main content

Windmill

This is a chapter from my seventh book called Bookeh - Through the lens of a Trinidadian photog


It was a boring Sunday afternoon. I had woken up from a nap and eaten lunch. I was in the mood to write. The winds of inspiration were urging me on to write. I grabbed my mobile and turned the brightness all the way up so I could see the screen in the yard. I bumbled around the yard looking for my next photograph. The chameli flower caught my attention. I picked one and decided that the red brick wall would be a good background. And that is how this photo was born. A product of my imagination and creativity. I think it looks like a windmill or really the blades of a fan. I was happy to learn that there are chamelis or jasmines (the other name for these flowers) that actually look like windmills and are called windmill jasmines.

There are a couple of things that flow through my mind when I think about wind. We cannot see the wind but we believe in the wind as we can see the effects. Just like God. Wind starts with win. We all want to win at life against all the winds of life. The wind can be a metaphor for life's challenges and opportunities, just as it can be both a gentle breeze and a powerful gale. I think windom as in wisdom. Being wise to embrace the winds of change. There is a Chinese proverb that goes, "When the winds of change blow, some people build walls and others build windmills." It is amazing how appropriate this is for my photo. A windmill and a wall. I only learnt about that proverb while writing this chapter and it fit perfectly with the photo I had taken. The winds are alive and sent me in that direction today. 

When I think of the wind, I think of opening the windows. Window is derived from the Old Norse term "vindauga" which literally translates to "wind eye". Indeed. The wind can see. The wind is alive. My friend Chatty helped me with this and if the wind had other human features, its nose would be the ability to carry and reveal various scents, its mouth the rustling whispers it makes through trees and leaves, its ears the way it amplifies and responds to distant sounds, and its hands the gentle touch that shapes landscapes and sways branches. This personification highlights how much alive the wind is. The wind is an integral part of life. I like this quote that I found from Kazi Shams that I think is the best way I could wind down this chapter, "Love is that to life, what wind is to a windmill."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...