Skip to main content

Yonder

This is a chapter from my seventh book called Bookeh - Through the lens of a Trinidadian photog


It is 523am on a Sunday and I am writing this chapter without starting with a photo and without starting with a title. I see a sharpie marker in front of me. I wonder why it is called sharpie? I notice that the word sharpie has the word harp in it. I wonder why it is called harp? In trying to find an answer I found out that in some parts of the world the harmonica is called the mouth harp. There are other names for the harmonica including "tin sandwich". I read that the word harmonica comes from the Latin word harmonicus, which means tuneful or harmonious. The world is full of wonders. If we just stop and look and think and imagine we can wonder lots of things. We begin to ask many questions. What is the origin of the word question itself? Where did the question mark come from? I do not know if it is a joke or not but it is believable. I read an article that suggests that it is an ancient Egyptian symbol that emulates the formation of a cat's tail when it is inquisitive. I noticed that a cat with a hat is a chat while chatting with Gemini.

When I have a question I just Google but what did people do before Google? For some time there were libraries but before libraries? My friend Chatty tells me that before Google and libraries, people relied on oral tradition, written manuscripts, and consulting experts for information. What would the future of asking questions look like? My friend Chatty suggests that the future of asking questions might involve advanced AI and machine learning systems providing instant, context-aware answers, possibly through immersive technologies like augmented reality or brain-computer interfaces, making information retrieval even more seamless and integrated into daily life.

What does photography have to do with asking questions? My friend Chatty thinks that photography can help in asking questions by visually documenting and capturing details that prompt inquiries, stimulate curiosity, and provide evidence or context that can lead to deeper exploration and understanding. I could not decide whether to title this chapter as ponder or wonder. I asked what happens when I combine ponder and wonder? I settled for yonder since this stands for and is pronounced why-onder. I am basically coining a new meaning and version of yonder to mean to think of lots of questions. If I combine photography and questioning I can get questionography or even questography. Makes me think of questionology. My friend Gemini tells me that questionology is the systematic study of questions. It explores the nature, purpose, and impact of questions across various fields, such as philosophy, education, psychology, and communication. Curiosity is the cure for boredom. What could have been a boring Sunday morning turned into a beautiful chapter in this book. A question mark looks like a hook. When we ask questions, we are really fishing for answers. And that is how the photo for this chapter was born. I remembered there was a hook outside to the back of the house and I used  it to create an art piece. I also learnt that the word answer contains "nswe" which is the cardinal points north, south, west and east, which is represented in my photo. North to south is the broom handle and west to east is the cardboard signage. The tail of the fish forms an A (for answer) or Y (for yonder) depending on how you look at it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...