Iterating the first 10 million digits of pi


Continuing from my last blog post : Did you know that the 100-trillionth decimal place of π (pi) is 0? That is according to work done by Google in 2022. It took them 157 days to calculate 100 trillion digits of pi. It would be cool to know the 10 digits before and the 10 digits after. Numbers and patterns and coincidences and serendipity fascinates me. It was the usual quiet morning for me. I found that I could download the first 10 million digits of pi and I set out with the help of Bard and my curiousity to see what unusual, interesting or outstandish things I could find. Like how many times my birthday 2305 occurs or the the next 2 digits after the sequence formed with the last 3 play whe numbers. You can get pretty creative with what you look for in pi like in this youtubes - I found Amongi in the digits of pi

Ha! I found the last 10 of the first 100 trillion digits of pi when I saw another video by the same guy. They are 3095295560. First glance and nothing stands out except that 5 occurs the most and 3 times. It is nice that they have tools to calculate and verify the results with an extremely small chance of error.


I tried to download directly from Chrome mobile but it kept crashing. I used the following code to download from python instead.

import requests

url = "http://www.cs.princeton.edu/introcs/data/pi-10million.txt"

try:
    response = requests.get(url)
    response.raise_for_status()  # Raise an exception for error status codes

    text_content = response.text

    with open("pi10million.txt", "w") as file:  # Customize filename if needed
        file.write(text_content)

    print("Text file saved successfully!")

except requests.exceptions.RequestException as e:
    print("An error occurred:", e)

This is an example of the type of probing I have done so far. The code runs reasonably fast on my 5 year old budget android phone.

with open("pi10million.txt", "r") as file:
    pi_string = file.read()  # Read the entire file as a string

# Find all starting positions of "230580"
occurrences = [i for i in range(len(pi_string)) if pi_string.startswith("230580", i)]

# Calculate and print the number of digits between occurrences
if len(occurrences) > 1:
    for i in range(1, len(occurrences)):
        distance = occurrences[i] - occurrences[i-1] - 6  # Subtract the length of "230580" (6 digits)
        print(f"Number of digits between occurrences {i} and {i+1}: {distance}")
else:
    print("No consecutive occurrences of '230580' found in the file.")

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let the flowers bloom again

Small island but big heart

My Experience Setting Up FLOW's TG2492LG-FLO WIFI Modem

How can you make money online in Trinidad and Tobago?

Society united now